Header Ads

Help finding a teacher?

I've been studying Buddhism for a few years, and have pleasantly enjoyed my time doing so. However, I haven't had many opprotunities to practice with a group of people, and those I have had haven't felt quite right.

I have been to a Zen center, and while it was beautiful and I connect with the Zen teachings well, I found the people to be almost unwelcoming. Not much interraction besides "sit there".

I had an interraction with a Soka Gokkai group. They were nice enough but kept stressing the chanting to the Gohonzon over anything else.

I went to a Vietnamese Buddhist temple in Mississippi, but since there were few who spoke english, all of their literature and chanting was done in Vietnamese, and it seemed like the focus was on chanting rather than simple meditation, I realized quickly it would not work out.

I have also been to a center in Spokane, WA (I'm not sure what the name was or the specific school they were a part of) for a dharma talk, but I didn't quite connect there.

I'm wondering if I am letting my impressions and standard of finding "the sangha" hinder me, and should try to stick it out somewhere local (I live in Spokane now).

I would appreciate some guidance and personal stories on how you found your teacher/ community.

submitted by /u/BlueComms
[link] [comments]

from Buddhism https://ift.tt/2Qdeyzf
Blogger द्वारा संचालित.