Header Ads

Identity in Buddhism and identity in psychology.

So, in Buddhism, identity view is a fetter, which is to be abandoned. And I see why, if you cling to rigid beliefs about yourself, reality is going to shatter those beliefs.

That being said, I was recently diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder, and one of the hallmarks of the disorder is a weak sense of identity. Which in psychology is considered a deficit. And is something I need to heal/work on.

I'm confused. As it stands now, I try to not have rigid beliefs about myself, I try to view myself as a dynamic and changing person that sometimes manifests certain traits, and often exhibits some of them. I try not to define myself too much.

On the other hand, I feel a sort of groundlessness from this, and often feel disconnected from much of my life story, and feel very unsure about myself, since my tastes, interests and traits tend to change a lot.

I feel confused. Anyone with any knowledge about these topics that can add some input? Would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

submitted by /u/MettaMorphosis
[link] [comments]

from Buddhism https://ift.tt/2TLBUub
Blogger द्वारा संचालित.