Header Ads

Someone please change my mind about Buddhism

This is my first time posting here. I have to admit, due to my past encounter with people who claimed to be Buddhist who pushed a "holier-than-thou" attitude upon me, I have a pretty warped view of Buddhism as a faith that compounds guilt and suffering upon people (at least people like me) like Catholicism is purported to. And I just admitted this view is warped, but I'm not seeing much evidence right now that will change my mind. That's why I'm making this Reddit post, to get help in correcting my thinking about Buddhism.

The previous Buddhists I engaged with in some form were all about the modern day injustices inherent in Western society. I recognize there are many injustices, yes, but these people kept harping upon my role in perpetuating them just by living my modern day life in this society. This was back in college, and my life hasn't gotten any better since then. I've had mental health maladies back then and still do now, but I'm not going to get into those specific issues as I know it's against this Subreddit's rules. But the reason I bring them up is because I'm one of the people who needs help, not someone who is in a position to help others. I keep reading on Buddhist forums about people who are so fed up with Western society that they move to the opposite side of the globe to soothe their conscience; meanwhile I'm barely living above the poverty level and can't even dream of having the money to do that myself.

How am I supposed to help others when I can't even help myself? I can't seem to get an answer to that question from Buddhism, but maybe I've been looking in the wrong places. Please help me correct my thinking on Buddhism, as there's got to be more to it than the imposition of guilt and shame.

submitted by /u/Webimpulse
[link] [comments]

from Buddhism https://ift.tt/2KDQsaJ
Blogger द्वारा संचालित.