Header Ads

My understanding of practicing Buddhism

I'm wondering if I have the right idea when it comes to understanding what Buddhism does for me and if there's anything I'm missing or need to add.

By increasing one's awareness of one's thoughts and the things that go through one's mind, one can better identify where the cravings that lead to one's sufferings come from. Then it's important for the practitioner to value certain actions, activities, or interactions with people that alleviate those cravings and sustain a sense of meaning in one's life.

I was just looking up how a main criticism of Buddhism is that it's nihilistic but after finding a recent post on a video of Thich Nhat Hanh explaining that people aren't necessarily empty but "empty of something," I understood that to mean that nihilists, for example, could be empty of values and meaning in life. However, as a Buddhist, it's important to take that emptiness of values and fill it with the values which encourage the actions and activities of a more fulfilling life and which don't allow the cravings that lead to one's suffering to arise.

submitted by /u/razzlesnazzlepasz
[link] [comments]

from Buddhism https://ift.tt/2DHFG1L
Blogger द्वारा संचालित.