Header Ads

Teleportation, impermanence of the self & concept of anatta

Hi,

I would not describe myself as a Buddhist, but I see a lot of value in Buddhism, and really enjoy this subreddit. I recently came across the following comic, which had a transformative effect on me:

http://existentialcomics.com/comic/1

I would be very interested to hear a Buddhist perspective on the ideas in this comic...

  • In general, how does this relate to Buddhist thought about the non existence of the self?
  • Would you say that the concept of anatta is equivalent to a belief that the self does not persist over time?
  • Does the character's journey after his realization in the bar (from terror of death to a sense of meaninglessness to an eventual deep peace) reflect your experience of coming to terms with anatta?
  • (Bonus question for any philosophers out there: have you come across Derek Parfit's work on personal identity, and how does it link in with your Buddhist beliefs?)

I had a really strong response to this comic, to the extent that I have thought about it ever since, so I look forward to reading your thoughts on it.

Thanks in advance for your replies!

submitted by /u/new_leaf_93
[link] [comments]

from Buddhism https://ift.tt/2OYW5ll
Blogger द्वारा संचालित.