Header Ads

Pushing through pain in meditation, Jhanas and other questions.

Hi All,

So I had a meditation session this evening continuously for a little over an hour.

Usually I lay flat, but I decided to sit tonight for half and lay for the other half. I regularly use a guided meditation by Thanissaro Bikkhu that moves through each segment of the body and gradually and instructs the listener to “dissolve tension”

My back is usually on fire for the first twenty minutes or so, but I find that over time this discomfort diminishes. However, it is still a frustrating and somewhat painful sensation that lasts throughout my session.

Does anyone else struggle with this? What solutions have you found? Does anyone have any philosophical ideas behind this pain and how to psychologically advance my journey through this pain?

Also, during my session, when my concentration had reached a peak, I had several momentary blips where my entire body was radiating with something like joy, not a pleasurable sensation—something more like bodily contentment, where I was at ease entirely. I think this is what they refer to as ‘rapture’

What is the connection between this state and the first Jhana? What steps can I take to move my meditation from this momentary blip to a more continuous, sustainable feeling of contentment (equanimity?)?

Anyways, thanks for reading. I hope everyone is finding contentment on the path.

submitted by /u/howisthisillegal
[link] [comments]

from Buddhism https://ift.tt/2Jwg9JN
Blogger द्वारा संचालित.