Header Ads

How can we meet all with open arms?

Hello, I'm a novice Buddhist without a teacher, so forgive my ignorance. After meditating more seriously over the course of the previous year, this year I've begun to read the teachings of the Buddha and try to follow them to the best of my abilities.

I try my best to approach everyone with patience and equanimity like I believe they deserve. However, there are many people in the world whose way of life involves hateful speech or actively harming other people.

How can I meet people who violate the precepts and the noble eightfold path in this way with loving kindness? What's the Buddhist response to someone like the recent pipe-bomber in America, or the shooter in Pittsburgh? Perhaps some of these people are beyond reason, and are set on harmful beliefs or hurting others no matter what.

Of course, these are extreme examples, but that's sort of my point. And of course, this has little to no impact on my personal journey towards enlightenment. However, I have a hard time standing by as people are harmed needlessly all over the world.

Is Buddhism a wholly individualized belief? Or how does it extend to the community space we all inhabit in society?

Sorry this is rambling, but I hope it makes sense.

submitted by /u/MoreThanLuck
[link] [comments]

from Buddhism https://ift.tt/2SqaoSf
Blogger द्वारा संचालित.