Header Ads

My Western mind was a bit blown by this experience on retreat. Am looking for some insight.

I consider myself a rational person and am frankly, a little embarrassed to be bringing this up. I don’t want to post this on the meditation or vipassana subs, because I’d like some more serious answers (no offense to those subs). I know that I’m not supposed to make much of experiences, but I am curious to classify this particular one. So I was only on the first night of a three day retreat and I woke up from my sleep to some pretty intense visuals. I’m not sure how I’d describe it, other than as a swirling facade of impermanence in my direct visual field. I was totally lucid, with eyes open in the dark, just staring at this unfolding. To be honest, it kinda creeped me out until after about 10 or 15 seconds, when it passed. It almost kind of had an ominous or foreboding feel, probably because it cut right through everything - culture, etc. The rest of the retreat unfolded pretty “normally,” however, I was taken aback by this experience and thought, “maybe there is something to this meditation thing.” To my naive mind, it felt like a definite marker along a path, but it was curious to me to be happening not during meditation, but while totally awake and lucid. This was a very vivid experience.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

submitted by /u/INTP83
[link] [comments]

from Buddhism https://ift.tt/2OTRZz0
Blogger द्वारा संचालित.