Header Ads

How important Is It to Believe in Reincarnation/Rebirth?

I'll try to be brief. I've been studying and practicing Buddhism for almost 20 years. I've read dozens of books, and listened to countless talks. I've explored most traditions at least a little bit.

My practice has basically consisted of two parts: 1. Follow the 8-fold Path as best I can, with particular focus on Right Speech, Action, and Livelihood. 2. Mindfulness of breathing. The latter has always been a challenge, because I have back problems (maybe I'll ask about that in another post).

I feel that those two aspirations alone could keep someone like me busy for a lifetime. I just want to suffer less, and I want those around me to suffer less, "here and how." I'm not really interested in what happens after I kick the bucket. I'm fairly agnostic about it, but I've believed for many years that when you're dead, you're dead. Lights out, thanks for the ride. No heaven, no rebirth. Just dead. And I'm comfortable with that.

But I do feel like many Buddhists make rebirth seem really important. In this sub, many questions are answered from the point of view that one should strive for a better rebirth, and finally be reborn a Buddha. (Or something… even after all this time and study, I don't always get how it works).

As my flair shows, I tend to consider myself a "secular Buddhist", but it seems that, so some, this is not "really" Buddhism. If I believe what I believe, am I a "bad Buddhist?" Am I not a Buddhist at all?

submitted by /u/HappyGeorgeDay
[link] [comments]

from Buddhism https://ift.tt/2qmPYgc
Blogger द्वारा संचालित.