Header Ads

Inspired by an Arrogant Buddha.

I think people should be honest about their current level of practice, so again, I'd like to discuss where I'm currently at, even if I know this is not where textbook Buddhism says I should be.

I am strongly inspired by an image of the Buddha that I would call "Arrogant Buddha".

Arrogant Buddha is completely free of all attachments. He is disdainful of other people, in particular because they are infested by the attachments he has transcended, but also because of all their numerous other poor qualities.

He secludes himself on mountain like a Zen hermit, cold and mocking of humanity. I can visually imagine his derisive smirk. With no need of anyone or anything, he abides in the noble solitude of unparalleled superiority.

He does not have compassion for anyone. Compassion always seemed weird and icky to me. I just don't understand why a perfect being like the Buddha would have compassion. At most, he should be indifferent. Though my Arrogant Buddha is not indifferent. He is very well aware of his superiority, and naturally contemptuous of the great mass of humanity which has miserably failed to attain his level.

I suppose I don't have a model of compassion. Most times in my life when I encountered someone acting out of professed compassion, it was nothing but a deceitful disguise for selfishness.

However, thinking of having no attachments and no need for anyone or anything is unutterably beautiful to me. Being so strong and untouchable, superior and beyond everything in this life. Having freedom that nothing can constrict in the slightest. That's what truly inspires me.

I know the Arrogant Buddha vision is inherently flawed, since any view of superiority over others implies a delusion of self. There is also (not so) subtle aversion in disdaining the vast majority of humanity as being beneath you.

However, at least this vision is clear, coherent, and inspiring. In theory, the textbook Buddha should be all that + compassion. However, when I try to imagine my Arrogant Buddha and add compassion to him, the outcome is incoherent and nonsensical, and he just seems like all these disgusting people who whine about their fake altruism while greedily, desperately trying to suck some blood out of others.

submitted by /u/SilaSamadhi
[link] [comments]

from Buddhism https://ift.tt/2Nb76hK
Blogger द्वारा संचालित.